Monday, November 27, 2006

5 Miles, Phedippidations and so much more

First things first, I was at www.steverunner.com today checking out who the musician was on a particular podcast I saw something strange in the show notes for the most recent podcast. My blog was linked there. Oh my gosh! I'm the featured blogger of Steve Runner's Phedippidations podcast. I felt like Marsha Brady when she got to meet Davey Jones. I got props from Steve Runner. And when I went to my blog, there were actual comments from other runners from around the world. This Internet thing is really cool. I am amazed that I can be linked up with a global community that shares the same passion of running. I've always wanted to be a runner, but have been too lazy and then inertia got the better of me.

Sunday I did my 5 mile long slow run. Turns out it was really 5.1. Going into the run I was plagued with doubt and self defeating thoughts. I'm not going to be able to make it. I'm going to have to walk. I'll never get to my goal...blah blah blah. I listened and told myself to shut up. The one thing I did was to start off slow. I think the anxiety really gets to me and I go out too fast and then I'm spent. So I deliberately went out slow. Mile one was about an 11:14 min mile and guess what. I wasn't ready to quit right out of the gate. After about 15 minutes I decided I felt good and I'll just keep putting one foot in front of the other and before I knew it I was 1 mile away from home and I still felt pretty good. I was going to make it. I was going to make it. Then I was 1/2 a mile from home, then 1/4 mile from home and then...I ran 5.1 miles! I went out slow and focused on finishing. I did it. My negative voice kept getting softer and softer. I ended up at a 10:49 pace for the 5 miles and couldn't be happier. I did it.

It's funny, while I'm out, my head is ablaze with thought. I'm thinking and thinking. Sometimes there are brilliant, grand thoughts that will change the world and then I forget to write them down. Today was a scheduled rest day. I wanted to run, but I do know that I have to give the old legs a rest. Tomorrow it's 3 which I'm looking forward to.

I'll write more later...

2 comments:

Susan said...

Go Dave go! I came to your blog through Fdip. Love that show!

Kevin said...

I came here from Steve-O at Fdip also. If he likes it, it's good man!